You would have asked or currently thinking about this question in 3rd or 4th year of Engineering. What to do next?
And the person who can give best answer is ‘You’ only. One can suggest the options available but how they span out and are applicable for you, you are the only one to take right decision. With some friends choosing to opt for Placements and other going for Higher Studies, what should I do?
Let us list down the options available and associated information on which basis you can make up your mind and choose the right path forward:
After having gone through these options, important points to keep in mind while deciding:
- Consider and evaluate each option seriously and just do not Ignore one because of lack of information on it or it’s less attractiveness.
- Talk to your parents, friends, teachers or senior and cousins to make the informed decision
- It’s ok to take time to finalize, as this is the Important phase which will shape your next years.
- Campus Placement: Want to give a try at corporate world before perusing Post-Graduate or need a break from studying further, getting selected through Campus placements or open walk-ins into a good Company of your choice, usually is the most opted choice by engineering students.
- Go for M.Tech: I have tech in my genes and brain to be put to further tech study, enrolling in M.Tech courses in a branch of interest is best. Prepare for GATE, which is the entrance test used as a selection criteria for most top M. Tech colleges including IIT, IISc or NITs. One can sit for GATE exam even while he is in 3rd year of engineering and the score will be used for admission. In this, he has chance to improve the score by taking GATE again in 4th
- Go For MBA: If you feel technology is not meant for you any further and want to be a more of people’s manager or business analyst, prepare of CAT, SNAP, IIFT, XAT, NMAT which are entrance exams required for getting admission into MBA/PGDM courses in reputed colleges like IIMs, FMS, Symbiosis, IIFT, MDI, IMT among others.
- Civil Services: Want to become IAS or IPS officer? Impressed by the respect and status Government officers get or a known of you is IAS or IPS? Be ready to study hard and have a belief you can do it whatsoever may happen. It is much beyond just cracking an entrance test and an interview. It tests Patience, Perseverance and capability to respond to different situations and problems. But yes with self-confidence and determination it can be cracked.
- Short Term Speciality courses. Opt for some short term courses that imparts knowledge in special field of study or in-depth knowledge of the course which you like and is needed to get selected and fit into a job profile. This may or may not relate to technology.
- Start your own Venture: Have a passion to your own Boss!! Have a solution that can solve an unaddressed problem or solve it more efficiently which is profitable also, then take the plunge into Entrepreneurship.